Honored Artist of the RSFSR (1957). People's Artist of the USSR (1964). In 1927 he graduated from the Leningrad technical school of screen art, and in 1928 - cinema department of the Institute of Art History. In 1928 he came to work at the cinema factory "Sovkino" (now - the film studio "Lenfilm"). He made his debut in film first as a screenwriter, together with A. G. Ivanov and A. G. Zarkhi, creating scenarios for the films “Left to the Left” and “Transport of Fire”.